Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Applying Modes In A Blues Idiom Part V

Vince Lauria on iTunes | YouTube | IMDb | AmazonMP3 All materials copyright © 2010 Vince Lauria | www.vincelauria.com.




Record or have a friend play this standard twelve bar blues in C - then play the same mode for each chord (key). Remember to first play quarter notes slowly - refrain from playing at a tempo where each note is not clean. Once comfortable gradually increase speed and eventually move to eighth notes using this same process.

C7 //// //// //// //// F7 //// //// C7 //// //// G7 //// //// C7 //// //// :| repeat sign

Over the C dominant seventh chord play the C mixolydian b9 scale.

The C mixolydian b9 scale is the same as the

F harmonic major scale except the C is the root or key note. C, Db, E, F, G, A, Bb, C



Over the F dominant seventh play the F mixolydian b9 scale.

The F mixolydian b9 scale is the same as the

B flat harmonic major scale except the F is the root or key note. F, Gb, A, Bb, C, D, Eb, F



Over the G dominant seventh play the G mixolydian b9.

The G mixolydian b9 scale is the same as the

C harmonic major scale except the G is the root or key note. G, Ab, B, C, D, E, F, G



Also play each mode for each position (register) of your instrument.

I or I7 = C dominant seventh (you can substitute C13/b9 for C7)

IV or IV7 = F dominant seventh (you can substitute F13/b9 for F7)

and V or V7 = G dominant seventh (you can substitute G13/b9 for G7)

For more chord substations see:

2010.01.10: Harmonic Major Modes - Mixolydian b9 - Diatonic Substitutions - Mode 5



Apply the same modes for the following common blues progressions:

12 Bar - Long-Changes

I //// | //// | //// | //// |

IV //// | //// |

I //// | //// |

V //// |

IV //// |

I //// | //// :| or I //// | V //// :|



12 Bar - Quick-Change

I //// |

IV //// |

I //// | //// |

IV //// | //// |

I //// | //// |

V //// |

IV //// |

I //// | //// :| or I //// | V //// :|



8 Bar

I //// | //// |

IV //// |

I //// |

V //// |

IV //// |

I //// | //// :|



Also for additional ideas reference previous blog

2010.02.10: Eight Most Common Blues Scales For Improvisation

Remember as always to transpose to all keys.





All materials copyright 2010. For personal use only.

Vince Lauria Sun and Earth Music

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers